Aug 15, 2012

Throne of Games

Check the artist out here
Over the past couple months I have been watching The Game of Thrones with my girlfriend. It is a series that she is a rather big fan of and enjoys a lot. Naturally she's all up to date on the show but she's been re-watching the old episodes with me and I've been having lots of fun. The other week we finally managed to finish the first season of the show. I figured now would be a good time to put in my thoughts on the whole thing.

The show has a pretty good budget and the acting for the most part is pretty well. Some children actors sound a bit silly and some other actors come off flat but the performances are strong over all. I found myself hating Joffrey quite a bit and rooting for Tyrion even through all his treacherous acts. Big kudos have to go to Jack Gleeson and Peter Dinklage for giving those characters such life. To me other noticeable characters of interest where Ned, and his daughter Arya. Unfortunately the end of season one brought a cruel fate to Ned. What has happened to Arya is really interesting though. The character Snow has been one of my favorites as well. He's got somewhat of a hot blooded streak but he's smart enough to know the time and place. He's an interesting character to watch, especially after he's put on duty at the wall.

Each episode during this season succeed in one uping the last by the end of its run time, usually putting in a twist or sudden event that would shock the audience. The overall show was lots of fun, and the character development was handled really well as lots of characters have really grown and come into their own during these 10 episodes. The mythology of white walkers and dragons is really interesting and I'm dying to see what is beyond the wall. The first season ended with quite a cliff hanger that makes me feel like the story is just beginning and that I've only seen the prologue to something even greater. I'm pretty excited to see season two.